Sunday, June 21, 2015

It's time to change the Backlog

warning note: i am still not use to blogging so i hope i have kept attention span and not made this too long

I'm going to attempt the impossible.

I'm going to do this.

I'm going to cure cancer.

...

Okay, maybe not as important, but I'm going to cure my cancer, which is apparently this [url=this thing called a backlog]thing called a backlog[/url] and I also seem to have some sloppy seconds over here. Some guy that I totally don't know told me I should write more as well. Or something. So here it is.

This whole backlog has been kind-of crazy and kind-of on it's own level. I mean, how did this happen? As someone who directs games (the plural may be a bit too kind) and works on music for games, I always expected to have some sizable backlog. Ever since the release of Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door I always expected backlog to play a part in my life.

But... Somewhere down the line it just got not manageable at all. I have an entire FILE just for all of my games split up into separate categories. These categories are kind-of absurd to, ranging with...

-Soon to Beat (haha... haha... haha), Not Even Time Needed, Co-Op with a friend of mine/other possible people, Sub 5 hours, Sub 10 hours, 10-15, 16-20 (seriously, why is this section a thing), 21-25, 26-30, 31-40, 41-50, 51-60, 61-100, and one game that ranks 100+ hours (what am I doing with my life)

And... it gets worse. I've been ignoring digital games or something in that which is a shame because of the amount of titles I've missed. Seriously, what? My two top games at least of last year were both Digital releases (Child of Light and Transistor). It gets worse still. Steam just piled up. The deepest irony? Of my backlogs, it probably takes the least time. What the heck is happening.

But, why is this whole backlog thing so important? I mean, it's obvious I'm never going to be back up at my old speed given all my commitments, and that's probably for the better. Honestly? I don't have a good answer for that. What I do have a good answer for, is other things that have seemed to disinterest me in the process of this.


This is Child of Light. AKA: I stop making excuses to myself and play a video game. I've seriously come up with so many excuses at this point. "But I'll play it with my best friend" "I'll wait for a Steam Sale" "I'll get it when I'm closer on my backlog" "I'll get it when I feel like playing" etc.

I did it though. I went out and got it along with a few other Vita games because I was tired of making these excuses. Guess what? I loved it. It motivated me to write about Video Games.

The excuses have seemed to generally roll in into other responsibilities of my life and I don't like that tenancy it's creating. I have writing projects I "owe" sites and not just a petty explanation (I've definitely been writing, I've just been bad about posting, for any site administrators reading on this). It's actually kind-of amusing to me that Racketboy, a site I was excited to be a part of (and still am) took me six months to go through.

Again, priorities take place. It's good that I have them, but before I stumble into rant mode, my reason to stop putting excuses for at least 30 minutes to an hour a day into it is because exploring new things is good for new inspiration so I stop making these excuses. Letting excuses roll into the rest of my life isn't good, or something.

---

So this whole thing is kind-of incoherent but I have red eyes at the moment. Basically, I'm going to begin posts on tackling the backlog on here.

But "Why blogspot" to those wondering? Well, I'll still definitely have pieces for other sites in the works until I inevitably get bused so hard that no one even notices. Here is just a good place to write whatever. It's similar to my soundcloud - I can put whatever the hell I want and chances are nobody will complain about it.

Up on next week: Complaints about how lazy I am with Half-Life, Devil May Cry, and other series. Stay tuned for more entertainment with no wit!

No comments:

Post a Comment